February 20, 2013

Bread Machine Bread Sticks

I really like bread, and I love to bake.  So it's no coincidence that I love my bread machine.  I acquired this bread machine from Justin's grandma, who received it one year as a Christmas gift and wasn't too thrilled with it (ha ha!).  She had held onto it for a few years, but had never used it, and gave it to me when Justin and I were dating.  It took me a while to actually use it, but once I did, I was smitten. 

Because I'm not a huge fan of the shape of the bread when it bakes in the machine, I mostly use it on the dough cycle, then shape my bread however I want.  It's so great to be able to just dump in the ingredients and let the machine do all the work of perfectly kneading the dough and letting it rise till it's ready.  It's awesome!

I've tried a lot of bread stick recipes, and this one (which I found on Pinterest, of course) is my absolute favorite.  You can find the original recipe here, or just keep reading:

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  •  1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  •  ½ stick butter, softened
  •  3 cups bread flour
  •  3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
 Topping:
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
Directions:
  • Place ingredients into bread machine according to manufacturer directions
  • Start dough cycle and run until completed
  • Place dough on lightly floured surface and pinch off small portions
  • Roll the dough portions into sticks, approximately 6 inches long
    • If you're feeling fancy, you can "tie" each one of these sticks into knots to place on baking sheet.  I've done it, and they turned out great!
  • Place on greased baking sheet
  • Bake at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes, until light golden brown
  • Mix melted butter and garlic salt and brush onto bread sticks immediately after they come out of the oven

Photo from Momtastic


 
*Side note: I've started using this recipe for my homemade pizza also.  I make the dough exactly the same and just roll it out onto my baking sheet or pizza stone, and top and bake as normal.  It's yummy!
**Side note #2: These bread sticks go great with spaghetti, like my million dollar spaghetti.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment