February 13, 2013

Jambalaya

So, my husband is on the Paleo Diet and I've been looking for new recipes that satisfy the diet.  That, combined with the fact that he requested jambalaya at his birthday party in March, and I wanted to practice beforehand since I had never made jambalaya...until last night!  I found it on a site with lots of crockpot paleo meals.  You can find the entire list here, and the original jambalaya recipe here.  The recipe listed below is almost identical to the original.  Here we go:

  • 2 1/2 c. chicken broth
  • 2 peppers – any color you want, chopped (I used 1/2 pepper each of red, yellow, orange, & green)
  • 1/2 large onion, chopped
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
  • 1 clove garlic, diced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 4 oz. chicken, diced
  • 1 1/2 tbsp Cajun Seasoning
  • 1/8 c. Louisiana hot sauce
  • 1/2 lb large shrimp, raw and de-veined
  • 2-3 Polish sausages, cut into slices
  • 1 1/2 c. dry rice, cooked

  • Notes:
    • The original recipe calls for okra, which I'd love to add next time, I just didn't have any on hand.
    • My recipe is half of the original recipe, and it filled my 4-qt crockpot about 3/4 full.
    Directions:
    • Put everything except the shrimp, sausage, and rice in the crockpot.  Set on low for at least 6 hours.
    • About 30 minutes before serving, add cooked rice, sausage, and shrimp to the crockpot.  Let simmer until ready to serve!


     

    1 comment: