February 22, 2013

Sweet Potato Meringue Pie


My husband is always asking me to make new recipes, which is fine by me, since I really love to cook.  He'll see an item on a menu, a dish on TV, or anywhere else, and ask me if I can come up with a recipe for it.  That's how sweet potato meringue pie came about.  One day, Justin just said "Hmm, I think that would be good.  Will you make one?".  So I set out on a recipe hunt.  The problem with some of these recipes is that I don't have the same taste in sweets that he does, so I rely heavily on his feedback and tastebuds, since I don't prefer desserts like this.  With all that said, this recipe got great reviews from Justin and his coworkers when he took the leftovers to work the next day.  Hope you enjoy too!

I found two recipes on Pinterest and based my pie filling recipe off of this one, and my meringue recipe off of this one

Pie Crust Ingredients:
  • 1 c. graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/3 c. butter, melted
  • 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
Pie Filling Ingredients:
  • 2 sweet potatoes
  • 1/2 c. whipping cream
  • 1/3 c. packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Meringue Ingredients:
  • 4 large egg whites
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 2/3 c. granulated sugar
Directions:
  • Combine graham cracker crumbs, butter and brown sugar
  • Press onto bottom and up side of 9-inch pie plate.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, let cool
  • Meanwhile, pierce sweet potatoes with a fork and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes, until tender
  • Let cool slightly and peel
  • Puree sweet potatoes in food processor until smooth
  • Add remaining ingredients to food processor and mix until well combined (you could also just mash the sweet potatoes and wisk them together with the remaining ingredients)
  • Scrape filling into pie crust, spreading evenly
  • Bake in the 350 degree oven for approximately 40 minutes, until the filling is set
  • To make meringue, beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar on low until foamy
  • Raise the speed to high and add sugar in a steady stream
  • Beat until stiff, glossy peaks form
  • Spread meringue onto pie
  • Place under broiler for about 30-60 seconds until golden brown
A couple of notes:
*My husband likes very "tall" meringue, so I altered the original recipe to make more meringue.  :)
**My husband also claims that this pie was better leftover the next day, cold, with a cup of coffee. :)

Here are a couple pictures of the actual pie that I made.  I had to get a profile shot of that beautiful, "tall" meringue!

 
 
 
 
*I made this exact recipe into a mini-muffin version, and it made between 2 1/2 and 3 dozen:
 
 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment