April 25, 2013

Chocolate Meringue Pie

Chocolate meringue pie..what's not to love about that?  I recently made one for my husband to take to a potluck lunch at his office.  I used a recipe for the pie filling from one of my favorite cookbooks:

 

The recipe in the book is for chocolate cream pie - the only difference being that it uses a homemade whipped cream topping, and I used meringue.  (In case you couldn't tell, my hubby really likes meringue pies!)  Here goes the recipe:
 
 
Ingredients:
 
9-inch pie crust (I used Pioneer Woman's "Perfect Pie Crust")
 
Filling:
  • 1 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/3 c. cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3 c. milk
  • 2 squares (1 oz each) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten (save the whites for the meringue!)
  • 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. vanilla
Meringue:

  • 4 egg whites
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 2/3 c. sugar
 
Directions:
  • Bake pie shell, set aside
  • Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan
  • Stir in milk gradually
  • Stir chocolate
  • Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils
  • Boil and stir 1 minute
  • Stir about half of the hot mixture gradually into the egg yolks
  • Blend into hot mixture in saucepan
  • Boil and stir 1 minute
  • Remove from heat and stir in vanilla
  • Pour into pie shell, place plastic wrap on top
  • Refrigerate at least 2 hours (I usually do it overnight)
  • To make meringue, beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar on low speed until foamy
  • Raise speed to high and add sugar in a steady stream
  • Beat until stiff, glossy peaks form
  • Top pie with meringue and put under broiler for about 1 minute until meringue is light brown
 
 
Filling in pie crust
Meringue before going under broiler 

 

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is making me hungry, which will make me fat. I feel like I need to comment on all of your posts! lol

    ReplyDelete