April 23, 2013

Homemade White Sandwich Bread

I try to be very frugal, especially when it comes to groceries.  I also have become more and more interested in making things from scratch, and my most recent "adventure" has been making our sandwich bread from scratch.  I started searching Pinterest looking for a recipe to use in my beloved bread machine, and I found this one.  I don't follow her exact instructions, but I do use the exact ingredients.  This bread turns out soft and yummy every time, and saves me a little money at the grocery store.  I haven't bought a loaf of bread since I discovered this recipe!  Another thing I really like is that it uses all-purpose flour instead of bread flour (which a lot of recipes use), so it saves even more money since all-purpose flour is cheaper! Yay for saving money!  Now here's the recipe!

Ingredients:
  • 1 c. warm water
  • 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 3 c. flour
  • 4 tbsp. sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 1/2 tsp. dry active yeast
    *another money-saving tip: I buy yeast in a small jar as opposed to the individual packets, which are more expensive.  The jar stores in the fridge for quite a while!
Directions:
  • Add ingredients to bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer
  • Set the machine to the "sandwich" or "white" option if you want it to bake in the machine
  • If you're like me and are only using the machine to make the dough, set it to the dough cycle
  • Once dough is finished, place in greased loaf pan, spread melted butter over the top, cover with a clean dish towel, and let rise until it is a little above the top of the pan.
Risen dough, ready to go into the oven
  • Place in a 350 degree oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until the top is golden brown
  • Let cool, slice, and enjoy!
Finished loaf

Slice of deliciousness

No comments:

Post a Comment