April 24, 2013

Lemon Meringue Pie

This is, once again, one of those recipes that came about because I asked my husband's opinion.  :)  We were having some family over for Easter Sunday lunch, and I asked him what sounded good for dessert.  He came up with lemon meringue pie, which, of course, I had never made before.  The story of my life!  Haha!  I'm always (well, usually) up for the challenge though!  So I found this recipe while searching on Pinterest.  I followed it exactly for the actual pie filling.  I make my own meringue.  Here's my version:

Ingredients:

9-inch Pie Crust (I used Pioneer Woman's "Perfect Pie Crust" - LOVE)

Filling:
  • 2-3 tsp. grated lemon zest (from about 2 lemons)
  • 1/2 c. lemon juice
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1/3 c. cornstarch
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 c. water
  • 2 tbsp. butter, in small pieces
Meringue:
  • 4 egg whites
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 2/3 c. sugar

Directions:
  • Place crust in 350 degree oven and bake until lightly browned.
    To make filling:
  • In a saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and water over medium heat. 
    • Stir constantly, heating mixture until very thick (about 2-3 minutes)
    • Remove from heat
  • Separate eggs, putting the egg whites aside for the meringue
    • Whisk lemon juice into egg yolks
    • Temper the egg yolks by adding a little of the hot mixture and whisking together
    • Add egg yolk mixture into the hot filling mixture
  • Return saucepan to medium heat, stirring constantly, cooking until very thick.
  • Remove from heat and stir in butter and lemon zest.  Set aside.
    To make meringue:
  • Beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar on low speed until foamy
  • Raise the speed to high and add sugar in a steady stream
  • Beat until stiff, glossy peaks form

  • Pour filling into pie crust
  • Top with meringue
  • Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until meringue is light brown
  • Let cool completely before refrigerating.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment