9-inch Pie Crust (I used Pioneer Woman's "Perfect Pie Crust" - LOVE)
- 2-3 tsp. grated lemon zest (from about 2 lemons)
- 1/2 c. lemon juice
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 2 tbsp. butter, in small pieces
- 4 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 2/3 c. sugar
- Place crust in 350 degree oven and bake until lightly browned.
To make filling:
- In a saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and water over medium heat.
- Stir constantly, heating mixture until very thick (about 2-3 minutes)
- Remove from heat
- Separate eggs, putting the egg whites aside for the meringue
- Whisk lemon juice into egg yolks
- Temper the egg yolks by adding a little of the hot mixture and whisking together
- Add egg yolk mixture into the hot filling mixture
- Return saucepan to medium heat, stirring constantly, cooking until very thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and lemon zest. Set aside.
To make meringue:
- Beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar on low speed until foamy
- Raise the speed to high and add sugar in a steady stream
- Beat until stiff, glossy peaks form
- Pour filling into pie crust
- Top with meringue
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until meringue is light brown
- Let cool completely before refrigerating. Enjoy!