July 23, 2013

Frugal Freezer ("Canned") Beans

I'm always trying to find ways to save money, especially when it comes to groceries.  So when I came across this idea for making my own "canned" beans over at Eating on a Dime, I was in!  It was one of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments.

I used to buy canned beans all the time.  I'd throw them into soup, chili, taco meat, all kinds of stuff.  Cans are so convenient that I never wanted to bother with buying and cooking dry beans...until I realized how easy and convenient dry beans could be, not to mention CHEAP!

So here's whatcha do:
  • Start with a bag of whatever kind of beans you want (I prefer to always have pinto and black beans on hand)
  • Rinse the beans and place in a crockpot with plenty of extra room for the beans to expand
  • Cover with lots of water, about three times as much water as beans
  • Cook in crockpot on low for 8-10 hours
  • Separate into containers or ziploc bags (I separate mine into approximate 1-can sizes)
    • A 2 lb bag makes about 8 "cans"
  • Cool and freeze!
  • When ready to use, I sometimes thaw the beans out in the fridge the day before, but I've had no problems putting them straight from the freezer into a crockpot or pot on the stove.
It's that easy!  Saves me some money, and after one day of "cooking", I've got a freezer stocked with beans!

No comments:

Post a Comment