July 30, 2013

Homemade Flour Tortillas

I'm always looking for ways to save on our grocery bill, and making things from scratch is a big way that I save.  I've started making sandwich bread, breadsticks, pizza dough, and other things from scratch.  But flour tortillas is something I never even thought about trying, until I saw a recipe on Pinterest for it.  I made that recipe, and was happy with the result, but not thrilled.  Then, a few days later, I was moving my cookbooks to a different cabinet, and "found" this taco cookbook:


I found a flour tortilla recipe in here that differed slightly from the first recipe I'd made, so I decided to give it a whirl.  I was very happy with the result!  So here's the recipe from this book.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/3 c. lard or shortening (I used shortening)
  • 1 c. warm water
Directions:
  • Mix dry ingredients together and fold in the shortening
  • Slowly add water and mix until well combined
  • Knead the dough on a floured surface for 3-5 minutes until you can stick your finger into the center and no dough sticks to it (add more flour if needed)
  • Let dough rest in a covered bowl for 30 minutes
  • Form dough into golf ball sized balls and roll out with rolling pin
  • Heat griddle or pan to medium-high heat and place tortilla on it
  • Cook until you see bubbles or a few brown spots, then flip and cook until done
*The original recipe says it makes 16 tortillas, but I got about 10 out of it.  I do think that mine were bigger and a little thicker than they "should've" been though.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment