July 24, 2013

Homemade Refried Beans

Yesterday, I showed you how I make my own "canned" beans for the freezer, and today I'm going to show you a recipe to put those beans to good use!  Once again, refried beans is something I never thought about making on my own, until I came across this recipe on moneysavingmom.com.  They're easy, cheap, and, in my opinion, way yummier than the canned stuff.

Last week I tried this recipe out for the first time to make bean burritos, and my whole family was happy!  My recipe below is just half(ish) of the original

Ingredients:
  • 1 "can" beans from the freezer
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 2-3 cloves minced garlic
  • 1-1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • milk, as needed
Directions:
 
  • Saute the onions in the butter in a pot until they are soft
  • Add the minced garlic and cook for a couple more minutes
  • Add the beans
    • if your beans have no liquid, you may need to add a little milk at this point (to your liking)
  • Stir in the seasonings and bring to a simmer
  • Cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally
    • add milk as needed for more liquid and creaminess
       Here's what my beans look like at this point:
        

         Next, I use my immersion blender to mix them up, but you could easily use a potato masher:


        Mix/mash them up to a consistency you prefer (I like them a little bit chunky):
 
 
 
         Then, use them however you want!  I used them to make bean burritos with a little cheese,
         served with sour cream and salsa on my homemade flour tortillas (recipe coming soon):
 
 
*I have not tried to freeze these yet, but I'm sure they would freeze very well!  I will try this some time and update!


No comments:

Post a Comment