August 10, 2013

Homemade Powder Laundry Soap

There are tons of homemade laundry soap recipes floating around Pinterest, and I've pinned who-knows-how-many of them.  I've tried a liquid form and was pleased with it, but I really wanted something that would take up less space.  Then I found a recipe for this powder soap, which had the exact same ingredients as my liquid soap, minus the water.  Duh!  :)  I've been using this soap for months now and am really happy with it!  It's easy and quick to make, and oh-so-cheap!  Here's how you make it:

Ingredients:
  • 1 bar Fels-Naptha laundry soap
  • 1 c. borax
  • 1 c. washing soda (this is not the same as baking soda!)

 


Directions:
  • Cut soap into chunks and place in food processor
  • Process until in tiny pebbles
  • Add borax and washing soda and process until mixture becomes a fine powder
  • Pour into container of your choice
  • Use 1 Tbsp. per load, a little more if heavily soiled
 
*A couple of notes:
1. I have just a few pieces of clothing that I've had trouble with the soap sticking to when I wash in cold water, so I now begin every load with hot water, pour the soap in and let it dissolve for a minute or two, then turn the water to cold, and it solved the problem!
2. I keep a whole bar of Fels-Naptha in my laundry room to use as a pre-treater/stain remover.  I just get the stain wet and rub the bar into the stain, then throw it in the wash!  It generally works better than the spray I typically use!
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment