August 15, 2013

Peanut Butter Cake

In an effort to expand my knowledge and experience for a potential future business, I've started baking new recipes, new flavors of cakes, frostings, etc.  My husband is always my #1 taste-tester, but coming in a close 2nd is his office full of coworkers!  I make a cake and send the majority of it to work with Justin and it gets tasted by several people.  I love getting their feedback!  So anyway, my most recent bake was a peanut butter cake with peanut butter frosting.  I love peanut butter, but I'm not a big fan of it in desserts.  So other people's feedback was very important to me on this.  It got great reviews, so I'm adding it to my "list"!  Here's the recipe that I got from The Girl Who Ate Everything (such a cute website).  I made a few changes.  :)

Ingredients:

Cake:
  • 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Frosting:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter
  • 3 - 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tbsp. vanilla
  • 3-4 tbsp. milk, as needed for thinning
To make cake:
  • In a medium sauce pan, combine peanut butter, water, & butter and bring to a boil
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, brown sugar, flour, salt, & baking soda
  • Pour peanut butter mixture into dry mixture
  • Add eggs, buttermilk, & vanilla and stir until well combined
    • TIP: if you don't have buttermilk on hand, just add a splash of white vinegar to 1/2 c. milk and let sit for a minute or two before adding to cake batter
  • Pour cake batter into well-greased 9x13 cake pan
  • Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes
To make frosting:
  • Combine butter, peanut butter, & vanilla and beat with electric mixer until combined
  • Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until desired consistency, adding milk as needed
  • Spread onto cooled cake
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment