August 12, 2013

Pioneer Woman's Meatloaf

There are sooooo many foods that I didn't learn I liked until I was in high school and college, thanks to my now-hubby.  I was a junior in high school when we started dating, and he introduced me to tons of new foods that I now love.  Even now, at 28, I'm still finding more foods that I never knew I liked and was always to scared to try.  Meatloaf is one of those foods.  I had never eaten meatloaf until I was in college, and I love it!  When I first started making it, I made my mother-in-law's recipe, which is delicious.  But then, I discovered The Pioneer Woman's meatloaf, and it just takes it to a whole new level.  I've been making this recipe for months now, and we love it!  To see her original recipe with great step-by-step pictures, go here.  Or here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
Meatloaf:
  • 1 c. milk
  • 6 slices bread
  • 2 lbs ground beef
  • 1 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 tsp. seasoned salt
  • 3/4 teaspoons salt
  • black pepper to taste
  • 1/3 c. minced flat-leaf parsley (I never have fresh, so I use dried and it tastes great)
  • 4 whole eggs, beaten
  • 10 slices bacon
 Sauce:
  • 1 1/2 c. ketchup
  • 1/3 c. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. dry mustard
  • hot sauce to taste
Directions:
  • Pour milk over bread slices in a small bowl.  Allow to soak in for a few minutes.
  • Put milk-soaked bread in a large mixing bowl along with all other ingredients, except bacon
  • Mix until well combined (I use my hands)
  • Line a baking sheet with foil and place a broiler pan or metal rack on top (this allows fat to drain off)
  • Form meat mixture into a loaf shape and place onto broiler pan
  • Lay bacon slices over the top, tucking them under the meatloaf
    • *I've also used less bacon and laid it long-ways on the meatloaf and had great results too)
  • Stir all sauce ingredients together in a small bowl
  • Spread 1/3 of the sauce over the top of the bacon
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes
  • Spread another 1/3 of the sauce on top and bake for another 15 minutes
  • Serve with the remaining 1/3 of the sauce
 

 
I typically serve meatloaf with mashed potatoes and mac & cheese, but last time I made it, I also made these twice baked potatoes.  Yum!

1 comment:

  1. I have got to try my family lovesmeatloaf....will get back to you and let you know how it turned out

    ReplyDelete