- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 c. diced onion
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- a few dashes red pepper flakes (to taste)
- worcestershire sauce, to taste
- hot sauce (optional, to taste)
- hamburger buns or other rolls
- Brown beef along with onion, pepper, and garlic in large skillet; drain fat
- Add all other ingredients, stirring to combine
- Simmer for about 15 minutes
- Serve on these homemade buns, or any other buns or rolls you prefer
- We like a slice of cheese on ours too!
Sloppy joes go great with so many sides, but I made these yummy potatoes, and it was great!
UPDATE (October 2014): If you're looking for a low-carb option like we currently are, or a new way to use leftovers, you can make Sloppy Joe Loaded Sweet Potatoes! Bake (or microwave) a sweet potato, "load" it up with sloppy joe meat and some shredded cheese, and you're good to go! Yum!