August 12, 2013

Twice-Baked Potatoes

These twice-baked potatoes have become a favorite around my house lately.  I know this isn't a new concept or anything, but I had never made them till a couple of months ago.  They just seemed like a lot of work, but they're really not that hard, and so worth it.  Another thing that's great (or may drive you exact-measurement-loving people crazy) is that there's not a lot of pressure to have exact measurements of things.  It's all to taste and preference and, of course, depends on how many you're making.  I'm generally serving me and the hubs, plus our two small kiddos, so I don't usually make too many at a time.  Anyway, here's the recipe.  Remember, it's all to taste, but I've included extremely approximate measurements.  And you're not going to mess it up...I promise...I think.  ;)

Ingredients:
  • 3 russet potatoes
  • 1/8 c. sour cream
  • 2-3 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 stick butter, softened
  • 1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
  • salt to taste
  • pepper to taste
  • garlic powder (optional), to taste
Directions:
  • Bake the potatoes until cooked through (I just pop them in the microwave.  Don't judge me, it's hot here in Oklahoma, and I don't want to run my oven when I don't have to!)
  • Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise (a serrated knife works great)
  • Scoop out as much of the insides as you can without damaging the skins, place into mixing bowl
  • Place skins onto baking sheet
  • Add all other ingredients and mash with potato masher until well combined
    • I like mine a little chunky or lumpy, but you can certainly mash or beat with an eletric mixer if you like them smoother
  • Scoop mixture into skins until you run out
  • Top with grated cheddar cheese
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until heated through
    • *On a 100+ degree day here in OK, I didn't even want my oven on for 20 minutes, so I turned the broiler on low and kept them in for 2-3 minutes, and it worked great!
These go great with so many things: brisket, steak, chicken, etc.  I served them a few nights ago with meatloaf.  Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment