October 21, 2014

BBQ Black Bean Pizza

I have a love/hate relationship with pizza.  Wait.  No.  I have nothing but love for pizza!  I could eat it every day.  I love cold pizza for breakfast just as much as I love a hot, fresh one for dinner.  (Is that weird?)  However, it doesn't coincide well with my quest to lose baby weight.  Therefore, it's been a little while since I made this variation on a traditional pizza, but it's super yummy.  Maybe I'll make it again soon, once I've lost a few more pounds.  :)  The original recipe came from eatingwell.com.  They wrote the recipe to be completely cooked on the grill, which I'm sure would be super yummy, but I have not tried that yet.  Maybe I'll put my hubby, the grill master, on that soon.  Here's my version:

Ingredients:
  • pizza dough (I use this recipe, or you could easily use store-bought)
  • 1 plum tomato, diced (in a pinch, I've used canned tomatoes and just drained them really well)
  • 1 c. corn kernels (I thaw frozen corn)
  • 1 c. canned black beans, rinsed
  • 2 Tbsp. cornmeal
  • 1/3 c. BBQ sauce
  • shredded mozzarella and cheddar (approx. 1 c. total, or more, depending on how cheesy you like it)
  • sliced jalapenos (optional)
Directions:
  • Sprinkle cornmeal onto large baking sheet
  • Roll out dough and arrange onto baking sheet
    • I like to use just a plain 'ol rectangular baking sheet and not stress too much about an exactly perfect shape.  I call it rustic. :)
  • Spread BBQ sauce all over pizza dough and top with cheese, corn, beans, and tomatoes
    • I added jalapenos to half of the pizza for my hubby
  • Stick into a preheated 500 degree oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown.
  • Cut and enjoy!
  • Bonus hint: it's pretty darn good dipped into ranch.  You're welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment