October 19, 2014

Hamburger Stew

It's fall, which means I am all about soups and stews!  I love summer, but am always ready for fall whenever it finally decides to arrive here in Oklahoma.  Every fall and winter, I have our favorites that I make, but then I always like to try new recipes as well.  I came across Pioneer Woman's (LOVE her) Hamburger Soup and decided to whip it up today.  I made a few slight changes to it, including changing the name from a "soup" to a "stew", per my husband's request :).  I also did the majority of it in my much-loved crockpot, instead of all on the stovetop, which makes me very happy! No matter what you call it, no matter what you cook it in, I hope you enjoy it!

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (I actually used ground venison)
  • 1/2 white onion, diced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 c. beef broth (or more, for desired consistency)
  • 1 bell pepper, diced (I used gree because it's what I had on hand)
  • 2-3 carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (original recipe called for red potatoes)
  • 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • 1 tsp. dried parsley
  • 1/2 tsp. oregano
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  • In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown the meat along with the onion, celery, and garlic
  • Drain fat and pour meat mixture into crockpot
  • Add remaining ingredients and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours
  • Enjoy!

We enjoyed this soup with my go-to cornbread recipe, also from the Pioneer Woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment