October 20, 2014

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

Confession: I am addicted to chocolate milk.  I feel like this is something that only kids are "supposed" to drink, but nonetheless, I LOVE it.  There are certain food items that I try to never let us run out of, and chocolate syrup is one of them.  So imagine my dismay when one day it happened...we ran out of chocolate syrup!  And I really wanted some chocolate milk!  I had to do something, so I, of course, turned to Pinterest.  I knew there had a to be a recipe worth trying.  I found a few, and set out to make my own chocolate syrup.  What started out being a temporary solution to my problem turned out to be a replacement for store-bought chocolate syrup.  I now have this syrup in my fridge at all times (my kids share my love of chocolate milk), and haven't bought the big brown bottle in who-knows-how-long.  It's quick and easy and oh-so-yummy!

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 c. sugar
  • 3/4 c. cocoa powder
  • 1 c. water
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Directions:
  • Combine sugar, cocoa powder, water, and salt in saucepan over medium-high heat.  Whisk together until mixture comes to a boil.
  • Boil for 1-2 minutes and remove from heat.
  • Stir in vanilla
  • Let cool and pour into bottle or container.  I store mine in this handy-dandy glass container that I'm pretty sure I got at a garage sale for like a quarter.
  • Enjoy in milk, on top of ice cream, whatever your taste buds desire!

No comments:

Post a Comment